International Catto PhD Scholarship: University of Edinburgh (UK) 2018 – 2019
ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
The University of Edinburgh officially opened its doors more than four centuries ago, in 1583.
The University is situated in Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom and now has 6 main areas: Moray House, Pollock Halls, King’s Buildings, Easter Bush, Central Area and Little France.
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP
The scholarship fund is possible thanks to the generous support received by the Stephen Gordon Catto Charitable Trust.
The scholarship award will cover the cost of tuition fees, a £1,200 monthly stipend and 2 x return flights from your home country. Scholarship will be granted for a term of 3 years.
FIELDS OF STUDY COVERED
Please ensure that you meet these minimum entry criteria before applying:
- Resident of a Sub-Saharan African country (this includes Nigeria)
- Received a conditional or unconditional offer from the University of Edinburgh to study in the African Studies PhD programme
- Currently studying full-time towards an African Studies PhD
- Proven exceptional academic achievements and skills
*Preference will be granted to students proposing a doctoral research project in one of the following: peace-building, conflict resolution, elections and governance in African contexts (other topics in the international development and political field may be considered).
Read more about a PhD in African Studies here: http://www.sps.ed.ac.uk/gradschool/prospective/phd_programmes/phd_in_african_studies
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates who meet the above minimum entry criteria, must send the following documentation:
- Updated Curriculum Vitae
- Covering letter (maximum 2 pages), should include:
- detailed explanation of your proposed research project,
- proving your additional leadership potential,
- stating how you plan to maximise the benefits and impact of your doctoral research project in your home country.
Applications must be send via email to the Postgraduate Adviser: Thomas.Molony@ed.ac.uk
Insert the words “Catto PhD scholarship application” in your email subject line.
1 May 2018.
For any queries, please contact:
University of Edinburgh
Scholarships and Financial Support Team
Tel: +44 (0)131 651 4070